Yale boathouse, Thames River
Gales Ferry is a village in the town of Ledyard, Connecticut. It is located along the eastern bank of the Thames River. The ferry which gave its name to the surrounding community of Gales Ferry was first established on the Thames in 1740. John Comstock, Ralph Stoddard, Jr. and John Hurlbut were the original three ferry men. It became known as Gale's Ferry when it was owned by Roger Gale from 1759 to 1764. The ferry landing site at Gales Ferry is now occupied by a complex of buildings owned by Yale University which serve as a training camp for the Yale Heavyweight Men's Crew for the Harvard–Yale Regatta.